Saturday 10 January 2015

Settlers: one of each number - twice!

We played a four-person game about a week ago. I don't tend to strategise too much these days; I focus on whatever I can do with the resources in my hand at any point, and on diplomacy, as far as possible. I don't take a building spot if someone else is clearly heading for it unless it's the only one I have left. I try to expand if I can - but if not I concentrate on building cities and buying cards.

This means that, although I try to start with six different numbers if I possibly can, I often end the game with no more than six numbers. If I can gain a new one, great; but it's not my aim.

So I was quite surprised to notice part-way through last week's game that I had managed to get at least one building spot on each of the ten different possible numbers.

I was even more pleased, from an esoteric point of view, to notice that I'd done so quite efficiently: I had EXACTLY one resource of each number. No duplicate numbers at all (playing orange, as usual):

Settlers of Catan smaller board

What's more, since I managed to gain the 'largest army' and a victory point, I won.

I don't recall ever having managed one of each number; it's rare that I get a full set of numbers at all. So I was even more startled, in a five-person game we played a couple of days ago, to find the same thing happening:


I took that photo before the end; it was a very close game, with the 'longest street' changing hands more than once. I won that one too, by building another city: however Blue was the first to reach twelve points so although a game can only be won on someone's turn, it felt like a shared victory morally speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catan: Explorers and Pirates (first game, scenario 1)

Our usual default Catan game is Cities and Knights. It was quite a steep learning curve before we could relax into it, but now we can chat ...