Saturday 11 September 2010

Four-person Settlers of Catan game in the evening

Looking back at the scoring lists we keep, I was a little surprised to discover that the last time Richard and I played a four-person Settlers game with just Jörn and Sheila was back in May. We've loved having so many other people to play Catan games with, of course, but sometimes it's good to have just the four of us who played so many games together last year.

We set the board up outside, for the first time this year. And, since I'm writing this four days after the game happened, I've forgotten who started. I think it may have been Jörn (with blue pieces, as usual). If so, then he opted for the six-wheat hex as one of his starting ones since wheat looked as if it might be in short supply. if he was first, Sheila was second (brown), and took one of the 8-4-3 intersections which I had been looking at. I (orange) then took the other. Richard, who (I think) was last (red) began with good numbers (5, 9, 10) - the best selection of numbers available - on wood and two clay.

It was quite a nice board, and we all managed to begin the game with a reasonable selection of resources and numbers. Richard lacked wheat by the end, while Sheila and I each had only 11 on wheat. But nobody was obviously in a much better position than anyone else:


The first few moves were fairly predictable, and also reasonably amicable. Jörn and Richard both headed towards the coast, and the relevant harbours. Richard did build an extra street to protect the wood harbour from Sheila; so she went the other way towards a 3:1. I decided to head for an inland spot first; not particularly useful in theory (3 on sheep, 11 on wheat, and the desert...) but I could see that inland spots were going to be at a premium, due to the layout of our initial settlements. I did have a faint hope that I might be able to build out quickly towards the 5-wheat/10-ore hex, but suspected that Jörn would get there first...


...which, indeed, he did. Sheila headed to the other side of that nice 5-wheat hex, so I concentrated my building around the coast near the 8-ore hex I'd taken at the start. Richard hoped to get there too, and we did compete for the spot which eventually I took - but since he'd built an extra street it was still possible for him to get a spot around the edge of that 8-ore hex.

Oddly enough, 11 was rolled rather often in this game, so it wasn't long before I was able to build my first city.


So Sheila and I each had five points, Richard had four, and Jörn had three.

I decided, next, to head towards the coast at the bottom of the board in the hope of being able to get a 9 hex. Sheila, meanwhile, gained the longest street card. Richard and Sheila each built a city, but Jörn was having a hard time getting the resources he needed, and was still stuck on three points:


So Sheila was well in the lead with eight, while Richard and I each had six.

Building spots were fast becoming scarce, but Jörn had good supplies of both ore and wheat, so was able to build some cities - and as he did so, naturally gained more frequent resources which he could trade as needed. In quite a short space of time he went from three to eight points. I managed to get my coastal hex including the 9-clay, and Richard took the sheep harbour, which I did also consider. It could have been decidedly useful. Sheila extended her longest street to ensure that nobody else could take it - not that there were really any possible contenders by this stage.

Sheila and I had each played two knight cards, but she was first to play a third and thus gain the largest army:


So she now had ten points. Jörn had jumped to second place with eight, while Richard and I each had seven.

We now concentrated on building cities and buying development cards, while hoping not to be caught by the robber with more than seven resource cards. We reached the stage where Sheila had eleven points and I had nine... and then I played a fourth knight, and took the 'largest army' card from her. So now I had eleven, and she had nine.

I had one more city to build, and although nobody would trade with me, I managed it anyway and thus scraped another win:


But it was all very close. Richard and Sheila each had ten points, and Jörn had nine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catan: Explorers and Pirates (first game, scenario 1)

Our usual default Catan game is Cities and Knights. It was quite a steep learning curve before we could relax into it, but now we can chat ...