Saturday 20 November 2010

Seafarers (fog island) - a longer game than necessary

Since I've stopped writing about every game of Settlers that we play, I've also stopped taking photos, in general, during the games. On Thursday, Richard and I decided to play a round of Seafarers of Catan with our favourite 'fog island' scenario. I didn't want anything too lengthy or mentally tiring, although I'd forgotten just how long it takes to set the game up!

It wasn't a very equal game, since Richard made a mistake on his initial setup, and I was able to build a great deal faster than he was. When I put my final settlement down, I realised - since I had the longest trade-route, and also a couple of hidden victory points, that I'd won since I had more than 16 points (which is what we play to when there are just two of us). Richard knew it too, but suggested another couple of rounds, out of interest. All I could do, basically, was buy development cards (which I did) and I also built my last two streets and ships, because I had the cards in my hand.

And then he said I should really take photos and write about the game...

By the time we finally finished (when the last hidden hex had been revealed) the table was looking quite a mess:


Although I won, Richard took and held onto the 'largest army' card. He had one of the biggest 'armies' I can remember seeing in a game:


However, I had an extremely long trade route, giving me the 'longest street' card without even having to count:


My 'army' consisted of four knights, and by the end I had three victory points (so I had a total of 18 points) - and several more development cards which I had bought but had not had a chance to play:


It wasn't until late in the game that Richard noticed that we'd taken the wrong bonus cards - I had taken the largest army and he had taken the longest street! Not that it mattered in the slighest, as each is worth two points, but we solemnly exchanged them so as to be correct.

I was getting tired by the end, and buying so many development cards that I just threw my resource cards on the table, leading to quite a muddle:


The game was unusual for a few reasons..

1) Despite us both regularly picking up handfuls of cards by the end, the robber was never able to steal from either of us. For once, 7s were only rolled when we had both managed to spend our resource cards, and only had a few in our hands.

2) The pirate ship was not moved at all, despite a normal number of 7s being rolled, in addition to all the knight cards shown above:


3) Although I built far more ships than I usually do (by the end I had built all my ships AND all my streets) the vast majority of hexes I 'discovered' were simply sea... and the desert:


Whereas Richard, with a very modest fleet of ships, discovered only one sea hex, while all his others were resource hexes:


It was a good game, full of laughter. It really didn't matter who won - it was inevitable that I was going to, early on, but part of the fun of this scenario is exploring the hidden hexes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catan: Explorers and Pirates (first game, scenario 1)

Our usual default Catan game is Cities and Knights. It was quite a steep learning curve before we could relax into it, but now we can chat ...