Friday 8 July 2011

Three-person Settlers of Catan game

We've played many games in the past eight months, but this blog was getting a bit tedious... so I left it for a while.

On Tuesday afternoon our son Tim arrived, very tired and decidedly out of practice with Settlers of Catan. But he suggested a three-person game anyway. It was a nice board. We all started with a wide selection of numbers, and either four or five resources. Tim and Richard soon took a couple of useful harbours, and it all seemed quite even, although I was lagging behind. However I managed to take the longest street card, pushing me up to 8 points, only one behind Tim and Richard who were each on 9. I vaguely thought that play would continue for a while, and that any of us could have won. I was the only person who had played any knights, so I thought I might take the longest army in a turn or two...

Then Tim's turn came round. He had sufficient cards to build more streets, and take the longest street from me. And then revealed that he had THREE victory points:


Apparently he could have won in his previous turn (with 12 points) but hadn't remembered that he could declare victory points immediately they were bought. He only bought three cards in all. And it wasn't as if all the victory points were at the top of the pack since I had bought knights in between his cards. And it had been well shuffled.

So the final score was: 14 to Tim, 9 to Richard, 6 to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catan: Explorers and Pirates (first game, scenario 1)

Our usual default Catan game is Cities and Knights. It was quite a steep learning curve before we could relax into it, but now we can chat ...